Saturday 5 February 2011

EuroNite - Last Week 1998



The 1998 was the last one (so far) to be held in the UK, thanks to Katrinas win 12 months previous.  Our entry on this occasion was Imaani with "Where Are You", although this song was not the recipient of my 10 penceworth in the NF.  I voted for "I'll Never Be Lonely Again" by Sapphire, which has since become a dancefloor classic and is far better (in my opinion).  If I wasn't over-fond of Imaanis song at the time, her behaviour post-contest didn't endear her to me either (more later).


The concert itself was held at the NIA in Birmingham and hosted by Terry Wogan and Ulrika Jonsson, whose dubious presenting skills (her often repeated faux pas at the expense of the late Conny van den Bos testimony to that) and even more dubious morals have never made me much of a fan.


As usual most of the better entries found themselves as also-rans, Malina Olinescu for Romania with "Eu Cred", and Marie Line with "Ou Aller" representing France deserved far better.


My second most hated figure in Eurovision also appeared this year, that talentless cretin Guildo Horn. His song was nothing more than self-indulgent clap-trap, and I can only assume his gantry-climbing antics were nothing more than a distractionary tactic from his non-existant singing voice.  Would have killed the contest stone-dead had it won.  Only Tuto Cutegno makes my blood boil more.


The winner could have been spotted a mile off.  No-one courted more pre-contest attention than one Sharon Cohen, better know as Dana International.  Say what you like, but "Diva" is one winner that for me is still a fine song, and how important a moment in the competitions history that a Trans-Gender participant should be victorious.  The final round of voting from the Macedonian jury saw off the challenge of Malta (no votes were forthcoming), and with a healthy 10 point haul helped the UK into 2nd place. Indeed, the United Kingdom received votes from every other participating country, but not enough top marks to see off Israel.


Imaani plummeted right down in my estimation in the wake of the contest, as I clearly remember seeing her interviewed on Daytime-TV being most un-complimentary about Dana International (she didn't quite say "..I came 2nd to an Israeli Transvestite, this is unfair and a disgrace.." but it wasn't far off I hate to say), and also rumours of demanding behaviour behind the scenes which surfaced didn't help.  Her song I am happy to tolerate, however for me Imaani remains one of my most loathed UK participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment