Monday 14 March 2011

2011 Winners - An Appraisal Part 1

The 43 entries are just-about finalised, so I thought I would have a listen to all of them, and offer a quick appraisal of each. Here is the 1st part.....


Albania - Aurela Gace "Feel The Passion"


When I heard this in it's native tongue when it won the Albanian NF I wasn't over impressed. English improves it somewhat, however Aurela is still too shouty for me.


Qualify? Maybe




Armenia - Emmy "Boom Boom"


Don't know what I hate most about this, Emmys whining voice or the nonsense "Boom Boom Chakka Chakka" lyrics.  Considering that "Apricot Stone" was sublime, I was expecting better.


Qualify? No chance.




Austria - Nadine Beiler "The Secret Is Love"


Much more like it, the song and Nadine are excellent, and was a clear winner for me in their highly entertaining NF.  I'm delighted that Austria are back with this high quality effort.  A certain qualifier, and a top 10 finish beckons.


Qualify?  Easily.




Azerbaijan - Ell & Nikki "Running Scared"


This was the NF with the bored audience, the never ending rounds of singing and the contrived finish.  No televoting, and a jury deciding that two of the participants would perform a duet instead of there being one winner.  That said, the studio version of this entry has surprised me.  If they can pull it off live then it is a certain qualifier (just added it to my IPod as well, a ringing endorsement of any EuroSong)!


Qualify? If it sounds as good live then surely.




Belarus - Anastasia Vinnikova "Born In Belorussia"


If the rumours are true then Anastasia wont even be on the plane to Düsseldorf as this moderate, but supposedly over-political effort is due to be disqualified.  Might be for the best actually as the song is rubbish and would sink without trace in the semi final/


Qualify? You must be joking. No!




Belgium - Witloof Bay "With Love, Baby"


I cannot tell you how disappointed I am with Belgium.  After last years highly successful internal selection of both Tom Dice and his song I was expecting a lot better than this swing-effort.  Not my sort of music at all, and I struggle to sit through the whole 3 minutes. Painful.


Qualify? Maybe, who knows.  Not for me.




Bosnia & Herzogovina - Dino Merlin "Love in Rewind"


Another song that I find quite ordinary, even after a couple of listens.  Cannot see this qualifying, not good.


Qualify? No.




Bulgaria - Poly Genova "Na Inat"


One of my more favourite entries is this one. Great singer, great song.  Will need to be a little more tuneful at contest time perhaps, but I really like it.  Hope she qualifies.


Qualify? I hope so.




Croatia - Daria Kinzer "Break A Leg"


I have heard a lot worse this year than this one, even if the title is a bit rubbish.  Daria is an excellent singer, and she should qualify comfortably.


Qualify? Yes. 












No comments:

Post a Comment