Wednesday 8 December 2010

EuroNite - This Week 1993 (and other news)

After a blank Wednesday last week, back to normal this week.  Our Euro-journey has reached 1993.  At the time I well remember being a little disappointed that Sonia had been internally selected to represent the UK as I was no fan of Stock-Aitken-Waterman-type music, and thought that all the pre-selection entries would be of similar fare.  I wasn't wrong, as 6 of the 8 songs were in that style, including the one above which was my second choice "Gonna Put A Spell On You".

I did televote for the winner (in line with 150,000 others), admittedly, however thought the standard of entries in our NF that year was distinctly average.  The fact that we almost won the whole thing with "Better The Devil You Know" (another year when it went to the final vote) took me by complete surprise.


*****

When is a semi-final not a semi final? Just when you all thought you had heard the last of the Ukrainian selections until the New Year (or a least until the televote selections had been revealed), it seems NTU changed the rules.


Do keep up with the next bit, it will be worth it...........


The semi finals were actually quarter finals it would now seem.  The 15 qualifiers as of right, along with the 5 televoted also-rans and, bizarrely, 4 others who didn't qualify either on the day or by the subsequent televote (including a timely reprieve for A.R.M.I.Y.A. I am pleased to hear) have been split into 3 groups of 8, of which 5 so far have qualified for, I assume, the NF (although who knows, maybe there will be even more qualifying rounds).  


Are you still with me?? 


(By the way, Jemchug, who caught the ear in week 3 with "Hero" have made it safely through.)

No comments:

Post a Comment