Wednesday 15 December 2010

EuroNite - This Week 1994

EuroNite once more, and we are back in Dublin.  This weeks flashback however is tinged with great sadness as this will be the first time I have watched the show since the brilliant Gerry Ryans sad passing back in April.  I was a huge fan of the great man and his death upset me greatly.


Another high quality concert, and one that Ireland were certainly not expected to win!  Having already triumphed 2 years in a row, it was likely that the head of RTE had already sold anything he could get his hands on to stage the concert for a second time - heaven knows what was going through his mind when Paul & Charlie carted off the prize with "Rock n Roll Kids".  On the face of it the Irish had sent a reasonable not-supposed-to-win effort, and I will be honest here that at the time I didn't much like it - but over the years it is one winner that has grown and grown on me, and I'm rather fond of it now!


There was decent opposition in the form of Elisabeth Andreasson & the late Jan Werner Danielson with "Duett" for Norway, which was my idea of the winner and remains one of my all time favourites.


Of course, the biggest hit to emerge from 1994 wasn't even in the contest - Riverdance.  Surely there has never been a better interval act than Michael Flatley and company.  Simply amazing, and no surprise it is as popular now as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment