Wednesday 17 November 2010

EuroNite - This Week: 1991

After last weeks hiatus we are back to normal with a Wednesday EuroNite.  Following on chronologically we arrive at 1991.  Both "Song For Europe" and the contest proper live long in the memory - for the wrong reasons though.  If I was after Paul Curtis's blood after "Give A Little Love Back...." the previous year, I wanted his head on a plate after he managed to perform the same trick for a second year - that is, somehow triumph with one of the worst efforts the UK has had the nerve to enter (and I include Jemini and Kenneth McKellar in that), leaving two far more worthy efforts with runners-up spots only.  Hell, how I despise "Listen To Your Heart" by a rather tuneless, to put it politely, Samantha Janus.  Utter rubbish, and for me the lowpoint of any UK entry ever.

The better songs that finished 2nd and 3rd were, "Lover Come In" by Brendan Faye, and "Little Bit Of Heaven" by Lorraine Craig (below, and receiver of my 5 penceworth).  I'm not suggesting that either would have brought the UK victory in Rome, but both were a cut above the piece of rubbish (and lets face it, it is utter rubbish) the televoters decided on.



Do not let me get started on the contest proper...... I have mentioned previously of my loathing of T Cutugno, and it is due in the main down to his "antics" throughout this broadcast.  From gatecrashing Gigliola Cinquettis reprise of "Non Ho L'Eta" at the start, to his utter incapability to speak any language other than Italian (did he not understand the job description for crying out loud) by the end, he remains to this day my most hated host by a zillion miles.   Thank god for Blossom Hill I say!!!!!  Hopefully I wont be feeling quite as much pain by the end of the night.

I have also been made aware only this week that I should keep an ear out for an unguarded remark made by Scrutineer Frank Naef after declaring Sweden had won one of the most contreversial votes ever.........



No comments:

Post a Comment