Thursday 4 November 2010

Why Do We Sometimes Get It Wrong...

Had a great nights entertainment last night, EuroNite 1990 (my husband returned from our local social club just in time to catch me sticking two fingers up at the unseen Finnish Jury spokesperson giving Italy victory).  However, in common with other countries the UK have an uncanny knack of leaving their best chance of winning at home, and 1990 was no exception.  Where I had no problems with the sentiments expressed in Emma Booths ozone-friendly effort, it was essentially a rubbish song.  And for a Song Contest that is a problem I'd say.  The right and proper representative was the runner-up, the one below, John Miles "Where I Belong".  In melody, structure and performance it is light years ahead of "Give A Little Love Back To The World", yet got less than half the votes (including 5p worth from yours truly I clearly recall). I always suspected though, that the outcome would have been the same even if the decision had been left to juries and not televoters.  Big shame, this song is one that got away for certain, and would have been a major player in Zagreb.

 

...and after much searching, here is Euro-Cat!




No comments:

Post a Comment